The process of applying for your CASA UAS Operator Certificate (UOC) can be overwhelming in the beginning. Especially if you don’t have an aviation background and are considering to use a UAV (now officially called Remotely Piloted Aircraft or RPA by CASA) or drone in a commercial capacity such as aerial photography or low level aerial mapping and aerial surveying.
CASA is actively working on making the rules clear and providing guidelines to help potential operators navigate the process but we understand that sometimes it helps to have a ‘team member’ that works with you to navigate the forest of regulations and manuals.
Aerosdb is able to support you in each of the following CASA UAS OC application steps.
We don’t just give you a bunch of templates and walk away leaving you to complete them on your own. We develop the RPAS operation manuals with your collaboration to ensure you have a working knowledge of the content and regulations.
Our clients often say “you are like a coach” which is good to hear as we love to enable others to enjoy safe aviation activities.
There are several main steps involved in submitting your UOC application and receiving your UAS Operator’s Certificate such as:
- Develop your business plan, concept of operations and safety case
- Determine the UAV aircraft / RPA you wish to operate
- Undertake the relevant pilot exams (Such as the Radio Operators Proficiency exam and PPL Theory exams)
- Obtain a Class 2 medical certificate (This is optional depending upon the controller requirements included in the UAV Operator’s Operation’s Manual)
- Obtain a UAV Controller Certificate / Remote Pilot Certificate and appoint the Chief Controller
- Apply for an Instrument Rating Exam exemption
- Assess the risk of your planned operations (Risk Assessments are very important)
- Develop your RPAS Safety Management System (SMS)
- Prepare your Ops Manuals covering flight, operations and maintenance
- Obtain your public liability insurance
- Prepare for the pre-application interview
UAV : Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. Also known as a drone.
UAS : Unmanned Aircraft System
RPA : Remotely Piloted Aircraft
RPAS : Remotely Piloted Aircraft System
UACS : Unmanned Aerial Combat System
You can get a copy of the CASA UAV OC Application form 041 hereG+