Above is a snapshot of our booth at the RAAF Air Show held at Point Cook from 1 – 2 March 2014
Our EASTER SPECIAL ends on 28 April. Please click image for Ts & Cs.
Are you in the process of applying for your CASA UAS Operator Certificate or CASA UAV Controller Certificate?
We specialise in several services to support you (Controller Certificate) and your company (Operator Certificate) to operate RPA’s (aka UAV / Drones / Mulitcopters) commercially in Australia.
UAVSMS.com.au (part of RPAS Training and Solutions Pty Ltd) has a strong aviation background in developing Aviation Safety Management Systems as well as supporting numerous UAV Operators and controllers to complete the requirements in order to operate commercially in Australia. We have also just released a new software system (RPAS Logger) that focuses on the specific needs and requirements of commercial UAV Operators and Controllers.
The mind-map above is a summary of the services that we provide either as individual units, which includes the PPL Theory Training course, AROCP Training, UAV Manufacturers assessments, Basic RPAS Training Courses etc or everything together as a package to cover the requirements for a basic RPAS Training Course. This website ( uavsms.com.au) is focussed on explaining the requirements and solutions required in order for CASA to issue you your controller certificate or your company’s UOC, while our www.rpastraining.com.au website is focused on delivering our services and tracking the project progress of your UOC application or Controller Certificate.
We have created a 15 minute Introduction video to basic RPAS Training for you in order to explain the basic requirements to get your controller certificate and how this fits into the bigger picture of the UAV Operator Certificate.
The lists below are good startings point to navigate our website. We have adopted a new strategy in helping you to prepare for your CASA UAS Operator Certificate Pre-application interview and support you in developing your Ops Manuals. This is done by creating a set of training / coaching / consulting / information sessions delivered via web-conference or at our office to ensure your key personnel are educated in all aspects required to conduct a safe RPAS operation.
The items listed mentioned below are in sequence and are an overview of the subjects discussed in our sessions.
CASA UAV Controller Certificate
- Obtain an ARN Number from CASA;
- Purchase items for the basic Private Pilot’s Licence (PPL) theory exam; (View our video for more details)
- Complete PPL / BAK theory studies; Join our classes! (Next : 17 March in Kiama and 31 March in Melbourne)
- Aircraft Radio Operator Certificate of Proficiency; (We offer AROCP training and exams)
- Apply for Basic Aviation Knowledge (BAK) ‘Letter of Introduction’ from CASA to be exempt sitting the BAK exam;
- Book your CASA PPL Theory exam date via ASL (a CASA examination centre) or at an authorised Flying School
- Obtain your UAV Manufacturers Assessment for each RPA / UAV type you are going to apply for. UAV Manufacturers endorsement; (We offer assessments for all DJI products (Wookong, Naza, Naza Lite, A2) as well as MultiWiiCopter Scarab UAVs
- Pass the PPL Theory exam;
- Class 2 Medical Certificate (Optional); (This is only if you wish to do it for insurance or company requirements)
- Log 5 hours practical UAV flying experience (You can use our RPAS Logger to log your hours and battery management)
CASA UAS Operator Certificate
The following steps explain the topics covered in our training sessions and are related to the required sections of the UOC Operating manual
- Introduction to ICAO, CASA, CASR101 and relevant RPAS Operations
- Aerial Spotting
- Aerial Photography
- Power line inspections
- Aerial Surveying
- Visual Line of Sight (VLOS)
- Beyond Visual Line of Sight (BVLOS)
- Development of a Business Plan and market analysis;
- Determine the type of aircraft / UAV / Drone / Multicopter / RPA to use;
- Market Analysis
- Conduct a Risk Assessment;
- What is a Risk Assessment and why do you need to integrate them into your RPAS operation
- Which types of risk assessment need to be completed
- When should the Job Risk Assessment or Flight Risk Assessment be completed
- Crew Induction – RPAS Operation
- Pilot Records
- Remote Pilot Certificate checks
- Understand internal operations procedures
- Crew Induction – Technical
- How to complete a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM)
- Maintaining RPAS aeronautical radio communications
- How to manage human factors in RPAS Operations
- How to apply regulations and policies during RPAS operations
- Navigating Remote Pilot Aircraft
- Use of Information Technology devices in the workplace
- How to manage RPAS pre- and post-flight actions
- Controlling the RPA on the ground
- Launching a RPA
- Controlling the RPA in normal Flight
- Recovery of the RPA
- How to manage RPA in abnormal flight conditions
- How to manage RPAS energy / battery resources
- Manage situation awareness in RPAS operations
- Developing an Operations Manual divided into:
- Part A – General Policies and Procedures
- Part B – RPAS Operating Procedures
- Part C – Internal Training
- Part D – Aerial Work Operations
- Part E – RPAS Training School Operations
- Develop the Flight Manual
- Develop Maintenance Manual
- Appoint the Chief Controller ( Remote Pilot Certificate needs to be approved already)
- Compile the Operations Manual suite of documents for the pre-application interview
- Request a pre-application interview and and submit the Operations Manual suite once the interview is confirmed
- Conduct the Pre-Application Interview with CASA
- Lodge official UOC application form 041
- Address comments and changes required by CASA until the Operations Manual suite is approved (Desktop Approval)
- Prepare for the practical flying assessment
- Obtain Public Liability Insurance;
- We have already contacted the insurance companies and help you to develop your Operations Manuals to
- Incorporate the information required where applicable
- Easily answer the questions required to apply for PLI Qoutes
- Complete the practical flying assessment
- Once the assessment is passed, WAIT FOR YOUR UOC TO BE ISSUED :).
Official RPAS Operators are companies that have officially applied for and had their UAV Operator Certificates issued by the national civil aviation authority. Some examples of these are CASA in Australia, FAA in the USA, CAA is South Africa and the UK etc.
If you operate a UAV / RPA / Drone in a commercial or business related environment in Australia for any of the following special operations you need an UAV OC from CASA.
- Aerial advertising
- Aerial spotting
- Aerial survey
- Powerline inspections
- Agricultural operations
- UAV type conversion training
- Low level aerial mapping
UAV SMS is also able to provide PPL / BAK Theory training on a 1-1 basis or organise group training if you require that throughout Australia.
UAV : Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. Also known as a drone, multicopter, RPA. (The general term of UAV is being replaced by RPA in order to indicate the presence of an actual human pilot being involved in the operations of the UAV)
UAS : Unmanned Aircraft System (The general term of UAS is being replaced by RPAS in order to indicate the presence of an actual human pilot being involved in the operations of the UAS)
RPA : Remotely Piloted Aircraft
RPAS : Remotely Piloted Aircraft System
UACS : Unmanned Aerial Combat System
RP : Remote Pilot
CC : Controller Certificate
RPS : Remote Pilot StationG+